SHAFAQNA (International Shia News Association) – Prior to the birth of Imam Reza (A.S), his father, Imam Musa-bin-Jafar (A.S) said that Imam Sadiq (A.S) had said: he [Imam Reza (A.S)] is the scientist of Muhammad’s household.
Yes, indeed Imam Reza (A.S) was the scientist of the Prophet’s Household in all respects because he was the only scientific authority of the time. As has been mentioned frequently, his source of knowledge was the holy Qur’an. In other words, he referred to the holy Qur’an whenever he mentioned jurisprudential decrees.
In this regard Sheikh Hurr Ameli mentioned a number of such reasonings in his book, Vasael al-Shia:
1. With regard to the prohibition of singing he relied on the following verse: “And of the people is he who buys the amusement of speech to mislead [others] from the way of Allah without knowledge and who takes it in ridicule. Those will have a humiliating punishment.”(31:6)(1)
2. With regard to the prohibition or impermissibility of using the property of orphans, he referred to the following verse of the Holy Qur’an: ” And let those [executors and guardians] fear [injustice] as if they [themselves] had left weak offspring behind and feared for them. So let them fear Allah.” (4:9)(2)
3. With regard to father’s permission to use his child’s property without his permission, he referred to the following verse of the Holy Qur’an: “He gives to whom He wills female [children], and He gives to whom He wills males.”(42:49)(3)
4. With regard to the acceptance of governance from the unjust ruling governor at the time of necessity, he referred to the following verse: “[Joseph] said, “Appoint me over the storehouses of the land. Indeed, I will be a knowing guardian.” (12:55)(4)
1. Vasael al Shia, Vol. 12, P 230.
2. Ibid, P 181.
3. Ibid, P 197.
4. Ibid, PP. 150, 147